I used way less sugar when I made this recipe but it was unfortunately not sweet enough. The 1/2 cup white sugar in recipe is more than what I used, but less than the 3/4 cups in other recipes 😉
🥨 1 cup all-purpose flour
🥨 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
🥨 1/3 cup cold water
🥨 1 stick (135 gr) very soft, high-quality unsalted butter
1. Mix flour, salt and water and place it on a dusted counter. The dough will be quite sticky. Dust more flour and knead a little, then cover and rest for 15 minutes.
2. With just enough flour, roll into a square about 3 mm thick. Spread 1/3 of the butter to 2/3 of the square (leave the edge unbuttered).
3. Fold in the un-buttered side, then fold the buttered side on top –> becomes a rectangle.
4. Turn the dough 90 degrees, repeat step 2 and 3.
5. Roll dough into a rectangle 5 mm thick and apply the last 1/3 butter on the whole dough, except 2 cm from the top edge.
6. Slightly moisten the 2cm top edge with water and roll the dough tightly from the bottom.
7. Springkle flour, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a few hours/overnight.
🍯 1/2 cup white sugar
🍯 1/4 cup+1 tbsp water
🍯 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp ground)
🍯 Peel of 1 lemon (rinsed with hot water)
1. Add all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Cook until it reaches 100C (or until thickened)
🥛 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
🥛 1/4 tsp salt
🥛 1.5 cups cold milk
🥛 6 large egg yolks
🥛 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a pot: add flour, salt and milk. Whisk thoroughly.
2. Place over medium heat (whisk continuously) until it thickens. Let cool for 10 minutes.
3. Mix the yolk, sugar syrup (+ cinnamon and lemon) and vanilla extract.
4. Strain into a measuring cup.
1. Cut dough into 12 even pieces.
2. Place dough in a muffin cup, the swirl facing up. Press the center of the dough and eventually push and press dough up the sides a little bit past the top of the muffin cup.
3. Pour custard 3/4.
4. Bake at 290C for 12-14 minutes.
5. Let cool and serve warm 🙂