This is one of those dishes you eat in a Slovenian home that is not sold in restaurants. Thank you for cooking for me 🧡
🥔 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
🥔 500 gr white flour
🥔 a tall pot with boiling water
1. Place potatoes in a pot with boiling water. The water should be 2 cm higher than the potatoes. Boil covered for 20 minutes.
2. Remove a few cooked diced potatoes for possible later use. Leave the rest in the pot.
3. Keep the water boiling and pour the flour into the pot – on the surface of the water (like a pyramid). Do not mix. Cover with lid and boil for another 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and drain the excess water into a bowl. You may need this “potato water” later. Water can be drained by partially covering the pot with the lid, allowing a 1 cm gap for the water to flow out.
5. Mix the potatoes and the flour (see image 4-6). This is hard work! Add more “potato water” when needed. If you don’t have enough “potato water”, you can blend the few cooked potatoes previously set aside with a mixer
6. Shape (image 7).
7. Serving options: sauerkraut, caramelized onions, broth, CRACKLINGS!
Pro tip: add some warm potato water to your serving plate so that the outside of the žganci is more mushy (compare image 1 and 2). Eat with proja!