Healthy chocolate spread.
Did you know that the oh-so-delicious Nutella contains 56% sugar (more than half!!), 15% palm oil, and only 13% hazelnuts and 7% cacao?
Here is a chocolate spread that contains 55% hazelnut, 13% cacao, and only appx 0.05% sugar.
I know the pictures on this post looks un-appealing, but I am not sure how to take a picture of such a dark object! Lol
🌰 Hazelnut 1.5 cup – 150 gr
🌰 Cashews 0.5 cup – 75 gr
🌰 Coconut sugar 1/8 cup – 25 gr
🌰 Cocoa powder 2 tbsp
🌰 Coconut oil 2 tbsp
🌰 Dark chocolate 50 gr
🌰 Salt 1/4 tsp
1. Bake hazelnuts at 175C for about 15-25 minutes or until the skin has darkened and starts to peel off. Stir every 5 minutes to even the heat.
2. Blend coconut sugar in a blender until it becomes a fine powder. The finer the powder, the smoother the chocolate.
3. De-skin the baked hazelnuts. Place them in a mason jar and shake it vigorously. It doesn’t need to be super perfect.
4. Place the peeled hazelnuts and the cashews in a food processor and process until nut butter is produced. It took me about 10 minutes but I don’t have a heavy duty food processor. The mix will look oily and sleek with a shiny surface.
5. Melt chocolate bar and coconut oil in the microwave.
6. Add all other ingredients in the food processor and blend another 5 minutes or until smooth.
7. Place the mixture in a clean airtight container
8. Store in fridge.
To me, the most time consuming part was peeling the hazelnut skin. If the skin is well baked, it will be easy.
Recipe inspired and modified from nutritionrefined.com