Curried Lentil Soup
I tasted 2 lentil soups during my travels and both were SO GOOD! The flavors seemed to explode in my mouth and I couldn’t stop eating. I wanted to try making something similar so I tweaked this recipe. However, the flavors were not as amazing as the ones I had in the restaurants – I think they doubled all the spices, and maybe they used fresh cumin instead of the ground one like I used. Ah well, there is always room for improvement.
Hey don’t get me wrong. This recipe here is also very good.
🥣 1 cup lentils
🥣 1 large onion, chopped
🥣 3 cloves garlic, grated
🥣 3 cm ginger, grated
🥣 1.5 tbsp curry powder
🥣 1 tsp cinnamon
🥣 1 tsp cumin powder
🥣 2 bay leaves
🥣 3-4 cups water
🥣 1/2 block chicken block
🥣 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
🥣 Salt and pepper, to taste
🥣 Yogurt for serving
1. Saute onion until fragrant with olive oil.
2. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, cinnamon powder, cumin, and bay leaves. Add more oil if necessary and saute a while longer.
3. Add the water, lentils and fresh parsley, cook until lentils are tender.
4. Remove bay leaves and crush lentils using a hand mixer (if you prefer them a bit more crushed).
5. Season with pepper and salt