Cinnamon Oat Cookies
I wanted cookies. Badly. So here they are 😁
🍪 1 cup rolled oats
🍪 2 tbsp chopped almonds
🍪 3/4 cup flour (I used gluten free brown flour)
🍪 2 tbsp coconut flour
🍪 1.5 tsp cinnamon
🍪 1.5 tsp baking powder
🍪 1/2 tsp salt
🍪 1 egg, beaten
🍪 2 tbsp honey
🍪 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
🍪 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
🍪 1 tsp vanilla extract
🍪 Dark chocolate, chopped
🍪 Chocolate chips
1. Bowl 1: combine all the dry ingredients (rolled oats, almonds, flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt)
2. Bowl 2: combine all wet ingredients (egg, honey, melted butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract)
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until it has just come together (don’t overdo it).
4. Add the chopped chocolate.
5. Refrigerate the dough for about 300 minutes. In the mean time, preheat oven to 175C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. Shape the dough. Make sure you make it flat enough as the dough will not melt or expand more.
7. Place the cookies on the baking paper, keep them 2-3 cm apart.
8. Bake for 13 minutes and place the chocolate chips on top. I also added some more honey on top as they were not sweet enough.
9. Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
10. Store in the fridge and enjoy with a glass of milk or your favorite tea.
PS: if they are soft and crumbly in the beginning, fear not. It will get better once they cool down and/or are fridged.
Note to self – improvement for next time:
1. I tried to make this recipe with as little sugar as possible thus I only mixed 2 tbsp of honey. It is actually OK to eat, however for the sweet lovers, you may want to add more sweeteners (either stevia or palm sugar). The original recipe contains 4x the honey amount I used (8 tbsp).
2. Next time, maybe do 35% rolled oats, 35% coconut flour and 30% chopped nuts.
3. The cookies were a bit crumbly. It may benefit from more liquid such as 2-4 tbsp of milk as needed. It did get better after refrigeration though.
4. More cinnamon powder.
5. Add banana…?