These are the Polish version of cabbage rolls. Flavour is different from the Eastern European cabbage rolls 😁
Tip for next time: use less rice and maybe add mushrooms (1.5 cups).
🍈 1 large cabbage
🍈 500 gr minced meat
🍈 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice (rinsed)
🍈 2 medium onion, diced
🍈 2 cloves garlic, minced
🍈 1/4 cup chopped parsley (I used spring onion coz no parsley)
🍈 1 cup tomato puree
🍈 1.5 tsp salt
🍈 Pepper to taste
🍈 3/4 cup broth (use cabbage water + broth block) + 3 tbsp tomato puree
1. Cut the center core of cabbage and place (core down) into a big pot of boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Saute onion and garlic until browned. If you have mushrooms, add the mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes. Let cool.
3. In a bowl, add meat, rice, parsley (spring onion), tomato paste, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic and mix well.
4. Gently remove all the cabbage leaves and cut off the thick spine. If the cabbage is still too hard, cook a while longer in the pot. You want the leaves to be soft and fold-able. Do not throw any leaves away.
5. Place a spoonful of mixture on the base of the leaf, fold the sides, and roll. Place it in a baking tray (I have 2 small ones). Pre-heat oven to 175C.
6. Pour the 3/4 cup broth + tomatoes over the cabbage rolls (water is less than 1 cm high) and lay the leftover leaves on top. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 1.5 hours.
7. Some say they serve better after 1 day, but we ate it right away and I loved it ❤️. Comfort food.