Apple strudel, Eastern European style
The last recipe I made was apple strudel with a bread crust. Here we have it with a thin-layered crust. I used pre-made dough that I bought in a Turkish shop. It was tricky because the dough dried up pretty quickly and I had noooo idea what I was doing. It came out very okay!
Remark: best eaten when it has cooled down a bit. This recipe yielded 3 medium strudels.
Ingredients – filling:
🍎 4 medium apples, diced
🍎 3/4 cup cashews, chopped
🍎 4 tbsp salted butter
🍎 1 tbsp lemon juice
🍎 1 tbsp water
🍎 2 tbsp cornstarch
🍎 1/4 block brown sugar
🍎 1 tbsp stevia (sugar)
🍎 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
1. Melt butter in a pan and remove from heat.
2. Add all other ingredients (aside from cashews and apples) and mix until well incorporated.
3. Place the pan back on the heat and add the apple slices, cook until tender.
4. Place in the fridge to cool.
5. Roast the cashews on medium heat and mix.
6. Take 2 layers of dough, place some filling on the short end, fold the sides, and roll. Add another layer of dough on top of that. Glue the end with melted butter.
7. Smear melted butter on top and bake with fan at 180C for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy (you may need to turn it 180o once).
8. Serve after it cooled down.